Thursday, January 15, 2009

Tortilla Soup

It's a cold, windy day, perfect for one of my favorite soups simmering in the crock pot.

Tortilla Soup. This recipe orginally came from my sis-in-law, Denise. Great tasting recipes, loving heart, and she's cute, too. We use this recipe a lot for groups. It is fun to assemble your own bowl.

Tortilla Soup

1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
4 oz. can of chopped green chilies
1 can beef broth
1 can chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced, Grilled chicken adds lots of flavor!
1 ½ cups water
1 tsp steak sauce, (Heintz 57, A-1, etc.)
2 tsp worchestershire sauce
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp pepper
1 can stewed diced tomatoes

Corn tortillas, grated cheese, avocado, sour cream

Saute onion and garlic in veg oil in a large pan. Add all other ingredients through tomatoes and simmer. Just before serving, slice corn tortillas into 1/3 inch strips and fry in hot oil. Drain and salt slightly. Cut up avocado.

To serve: put a few strips of tortilla in bottom of bowl. Ladle soup into bowl. Top with avocado, grated cheese and sour cream.

The soup doubles and triples well. It is even better the second day. Freezes well.

I simmer in a crock pot most of the time.

4 Other Creative Souls are Saying:

Being Beth said...

Thanks for posting the recipe, Deb -- I saw on facebook that you were making it, and hoped you'd put the recipe here. I have chicken thawing and all the ingredients -- no trip to the store! How'd that happen???

DebMc said...

Yay Beth!What are the odds of having everything you need?

Have fun making this recipe. It is a keeper.

Cathe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cathe said...

I have a similar recipe, but I just buy tortilla chips instead of using real tortillas. Since I don't add salt to the soup, it adds a neat texture and flavor. I love lots of cilantro in it, but we don't get a lot of affordable cilantro this time of year. I think I will plant cilantro instead of flowers this spring.

Oh, and thank you for your forum post. I have been grieved for a while, but I hate to give up those old friends.

Rewritten to correct all my spelling errors. LOL