Monday, September 24, 2007

Happy National Punctuation Day!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

According to the paper, today is National Punctuation Day! Take an exclamation point out for a spin!!!!!!!!! Over-use commas. Be definite with periods. Celebrate all things punctual.

Try reading some older books. I find it challenging to read aloud books from the 1800's or even the early 1900's. Too many semi-colons and loooooonnnnnnnggg sentences and not enough periods. I don't know when to breathe!

The very earliest manuscripts of the Bible have no punctuation, from what I understand. No paragraph or chapter breaks. No periods, commas, or semi-colons. Imagine reading with no stop or yield signs on the page. Different.

One of my all time favorite traffic signs in Europe is the exclamation point. Designed to be multi-lingual, the exclamation point sign gets across its message of 'Pay ATTENTION' without using words at all.

Write poetry without punctuation today. Or prose for that matter. Put an exclamation mark on the refrigerator as a reminder to pay attention or create a bit of excitement in your life. Pretend there's a comma in front of you and pause for a creative moment. Quote someone and make little quote marks in the air with your fingers. Have fun.

Speaking of fun and punctuation (and believe me, Mrs. K, my high school English teacher wouldn't believe *I* would put such words together...) a terrific book about punctuation is 'Eats, Shoots, and Leaves.' While I live by 'Shrunk and White's Elements of Style,' Eats, Shoots, and Leaves is funny. Lots of British wit involved.

Have fun today.

Period.

5 Other Creative Souls are Saying:

Rose said...

I had no idea it was National Punctuation Day! Thanks for letting my know LOL.

Thanks for your kind comment on my blog, Deb. I have your link tucked safely away in my favorites. I'm sure I am going to learn a lot from you!

Rose/MeMo

Becky said...

I thought of your blog on punctuation today when I stopped at a red light and was reminded that we also need a "grammar day." The truck in front of me had two things on the back window: a prominent TCU sticker and written in white across the window--"The best never stop in THERE quest to the top." Now, let's hope this person is not an English major!

Pearson Family said...

!!!GLAD I FOUND YOU!!!!
Paige

Rose said...

Deb, I've given you an award! Please stop by, to pick it up, when you have a moment.

MeMo

Patty in WA or Rover said...

Okay!! I think, therefore, I need coffee, I think; if I may be so bold as to say "so".

There. Happy, Happy???