Monday, August 13, 2007

Reading List

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Summer's almost done but my reading list is not. How did that happen? In fact, the list is getting longer. A sale at a bookstore will do that.

Years ago, while running my photography business, I would rise before the sun to spend an hour reading, studying, and thinking. I like getting up early. I love thinking and creating new ideas. Why am I not doing this now?

Bad habits. Things like hitting the computer message boards before breakfast or watching re-runs of JAG. Or just plain piddling.

If it were quality things like spending time with The Pilot Guy or exercise that would be different. Both of those things deserve their own catagory of time devotion. But I'm just not getting things done.

Time to do better. Dust off those old habits and get back into them. Hopefully, they'll fit like well worn and comfortable shoes.

Look for reviews of these books in coming posts.

What?

What's that you're asking?

Oh, you want to know the titles and author names of the books on the reading lists? Why? Will there be a test? No? Yes? Maybe?

Well, okay, here they are in no particular order:

Homeschooling High School by Jeanne Gowen Dennis

Designing Effective Women's Minstries by Jill Briscoe, Laurie Katz McIntyre, and Beth Seversen

Eat Smart, Walk Strong by Leslie Sansone

A Strong West Wind by Gail Caldwell

The Ode Less Travelled by Stephen Fry

The Plot Thickens by Noah Lukeman

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

A Garden Path to Mentoring by Esther Burroughs

Writer Mama by Christina Katz

The First Five Pages byt Noah Lukeman

My Heart's At Home by Jill Savage

Mrs. Whaley and Her Charleston Garden by Emily Whaley in conversations with William Baldwin

Happy reading!

2 Other Creative Souls are Saying:

Anonymous said...

Hi, found you on the WTM board! Enjoyed your blog...just wanted to say hello.
Blessings, Theresa

Becky said...

Deb,
Firstly, it was great seeing you at B&N for Bonnie's book signing! How wonderful it always is to be among creative kindred spirits! Isn't it amazing how laughter and ideas proliferate when "creative souls" gather? I have been reading your blog since Day 1 but have been neglectful in commenting--I tend to be a blogging stalker--but no more--I will comment on each of your posts forthgoing. I plan to start blogging soon myself. I turn 49 next week and want to start a "Countdown to 50" blog. I so enjoyed your list of books and look forward to your review of books read. Have you read EAT,PRAY,LOVE? Think you would enjoy. I loved your idea of a home-based retreat and learning to be a tourist in one's own back yard. Also, your ideas about letting loose to be creative and the power of the mundane in meditating... And, I am jealous of your porch swing--something I have always wanted. I,too,am a lover of lists but not necessarily a doer of lists! Look forward to your future posts with manna for our creative souls! By the way, your photos add a nice touch to your blogs.